WetLok is a self-curing jointing material for all types of paving projects with joints sizes of 3/16" to 5". WetLok is a quick and easy way to ensure a permanent joint with no need for special machinery or equipment.
Can be installed in the rain
Pre-mixed and ready to use
Use for joints 3/16" - 5" (0.48 - 12.7cm)
Permeable and allows water to escape, unlike polymeric sand
Use with hybrid or traditional base
Safe from freezing weather after installed
12-month shelf life
Can keep unused product for future use
Easy to use, simply brush into joints and compact with water
Packaging is 100% recyclable
Resists weeds and plant growth
Easy to clean
Hybrid or traditional base installs
Installations with HexaBase™ and other base replacement systems
Coverage will vary depending on surface and application. Generally, one tub will cover 45 - 60 sq. ft. (4.18 - 5.57 sq. yd.) of pavers with a 3/16”(0.48 cm) joint.
Specific Joint Size Coverage Estimates:
3/16” joint = 51 sq. ft. per 36 lb. bucket
¾” joint= 13.5 sq. ft. per 36 lb. bucket
1” joint= 10.6 sq. ft. per 36 lb. bucket
Wider joints will reduce overall coverage.
WetLok can be used from a 3/16” (0.48 cm) joint width all the way up to a 5” (12.7cm) joint.
Minimum joint depth is 1” (2.54 cm).
A. WET THE SURFACE
Water helps to prevent the resin binding agent from settling on the surface which would create enhancement or framing around the edges of the paver or stone surface. Surface must remain saturated through the entire process to ensure resin does not bind to the surface of the project. A good rule of thumb, if you are not sure you have enough water on the surface, add more.
B. SWEEP SAND
Pour the WetLok Jointing Sand in a pile on the wet surface. Immediately wet down the sand while a second person pushes it around using a broom/squeegee diagonally to the joints. Continuously wet the area in front and behind the broom/squeegee to help settle the sand into the joints.
C. FILL JOINTS COMPLETELY
WetLok will start to settle in the joints as water is added. If joints appear only partially filled, add more sand onto the surface while sweeping and watering to ensure joints are completely filled. The use of a plate compactor is not recommended.
When the joints are no longer accepting sand, rinse the surface to remove any excess sand and oily residue until the water runs clean.
Striking the joints is not required, but it will provide uniformity and the benefit of easier cleaning in the future. If uniformity is desired, wait for the surface of the project to dry and ensure no water is remaining in the joints before striking the joint. Then, using a pointing tool and very little pressure, finish the joint. After striking the joints, consider using a soft hand brush to remove any WetLok remaining on the project surface. Use short brisk movements with the brush to remove any excess sand from surface of the project.
- Test in a small discrete area.
- A two-person application is recommended.
- Do not use on joints narrower than 3/16”.
- For regular paving > 1” (2.5cm+): Fill to at least 1” (2.5cm), keeping the WetLok just below the paving surface
- For thin paving < 1” (2 – 2.4cm): use a trowel to excavate a 1” depth prior to installation of WetLok jointing sand.
- If working with absorbent materials like some pavers and sandstone flagging, consider sealing with a penetrating sealer prior to installation of sand.
- Water Use/Free Draining Bedding- Proper installation of WetLok Jointing Sand requires large amounts of water as well as a free draining Bedding Sand Layer and Base Layer. If the installation is lacking in either of these requirements, the quality and performance of the installation can be compromised.
- Sweeping the WetLok Jointing Sand diagonally to the joints will help to ensure joints finish evenly. Sweeping in the same direction as the joints, could cause the broom to present irregular appearance of the joints.
- To smooth the joints, Wait for the paved surface to dry and joints do not have pooled water. Using a Pointing Tool and very little pressure, finish the joint being careful not to compress the sand. This step will ensure even joints while making them easier to clean in the future.
- Keeping a clean work area is key to success.
- If working with sensitive stones that are subject to marring, consider sealing the surface and sides of unit prior to the install of WetLok.
- WetLok will not add to the integrity of the paving project and should not be relied upon to form any element of the structural makeup.
- The jointing should not be cleaned by use of high-pressure washers until cured for at least 14 days. The distance between nozzle and joints must be at least 6” (15cm)
- Always follow the manufacture’s instructions carefully. As the company cannot be aware of all the applications and materials the product may be used on, it is the user’s responsibility to determine suitability for use.
- Temperatures must remain above 37°F (3°C) for a wet install.
- For best results, wait 28 days after installation before cleaning and sealing.
WetLok Jointing Sand is designed for use on a free draining site, where bedding sand and base allow water to freely flow without periods of retention. Ideally suited for installations with bedding sand or chip stone beneath the pavers.
Site conditions which tend to hold moisture or stay wet, should not use SRW WetLok Jointing Sand. This includes Installations in which stone dust is used as the bedding layer. Concrete overlays without proper slope or drainage can also cause WetLok to not cure properly.
Proper installation of WetLok Jointing Sand requires large amounts of water as well as a free draining Bedding Sand Layer and Base Layer. If the installation is lacking in either of these requirements, the quality and performance of the installation can be compromised.
Dry and hot conditions may increase the likelihood of resins from the sand depositing on the surface of the project. This may lead to enhancement or framing along the surface edge of pavers or stones. If dry or hot conditions are likely, make sure that surface remains wet and work in areas up to 200 sf. A two person application may be necessary.
Installation during a light rain event can successfully be accomplished without issue. Covering the installation may be necessary during a heavy rain event to prevent freshly installed sand from washing out of the joints prior to curing.
WetLok Jointing Sand can be used in all-weather conditions. Since it is most commonly wet applied, SRW recommends that installation temperatures remain above 37F°. Freezing temps during installation will likely cause ice to form which will inhibit proper settlement of sand into the joints. Freezing temps through the curing process will not affect the integrity of the final installation. It will however, drastically increase the time to cure since all reactions will essentially stop until the ice can thaw and migrate away from the WetLok Jointing sand which in turn allows the resin coating to react with the air.
If temperatures can drop below freezing during install, a dry installation can be used. This method increases the chance of enhancement or resin deposits on the surface of the project. This can be minimized by presealing the individual unit, tops and sides.
WetLok Jointing Sand Curing- SRW refers to curing of Wetlok Jointing Sand as the evaporation of moisture within the paved surface and joints to allow the resin coating the sand to react with the air and cure (dry) out.
Clean Up & Storage
Save the original bucket to place any remaining Jointing Sand in to preserve for a later point. Fill bucket until water is 2” over the top of material and seal lid.
It is always preferable to store in a cool dry place, however, the material is not damaged by frost or exposure to cold/wet conditions. It is important to keep the product protected from high temperatures. Protect packaging from punctures or piercings. Any exposure to air will start the curing process. 12 month shelf life provided care is taken over its storage conditions and the product packaging is not damaged.
Permeable joint material like SRW Wetlok Jointing sand allows moisture to filter through the sand. Over time dirt and debris may settle into the joints and alter the original appearance. Mold and Mildew may also form. These can easily be remedied by lightly pressure washing any residue from the joints on an annual basis.
|WETLOK TAN 36||36 lb TUB||65 TUBS/PLT|
|WETLOK GRA 36||36 lb TUB||65 TUBS/PLT|
|WETLOK BLK 36||36 lb TUB||65 TUBS/PLT|
Frequently Asked Questions
Coverage may vary depending on surface and application. Generally one tub
will cover 45 - 60 sq. ft. (4.18 - 5.57 sq. yd.) of pavers or 75 - 110 sq. ft. (6.97-10.22 sq. yd.) of larger flagstone (wider joints will affect overall coverage). WetLok can be used from a 3/16” (0.48 cm) joint width all the way up to a 5” (12.7cm) joint. Minimum joint depth is 1” (2.54 cm).
- Spray Nozzle
- Soft Bristle Broom
- Soft Hand Brush*
- Pointing Tool*
- Squeegee for flat surfaces*